Food for the Body and Soul

Last week, I completed the 5K101 program (for the 2nd time)!  I say I'm a two-time graduate, because I completed the program last year and ran my very first 5k in November.  But I hadn't run since.

I re-started the program a  couple months ago, and on Tuesday, I ran 3.1 miles in 40 minutes.  This might be slow by some standards, but it is 2 minutes faster than my 5k last year. On Thursday I attempted the same run, but as I approached the 1 mile marker, I thought I was gonna pass out.  So I walked the rest of the way home feeling like a total loser. Saturday morning, however, I ran the 3.1 miles in 38 minutes!  And then yesterday, I rode my bike up Howell Mtn. Road.  It was about a 4-mile climb.  Tough, but I got to the top.  Surprisingly though, I had just as tough a time on the last leg of the ride - rollers - which should have been relatively easy.

The difference - nutrition.  Food to fuel the fire.

I've noticed that I can barrel my way through the day often forgetting to eat. I can still function, but when I don't eat, my physical body gets weak, and I "hit the wall," so to speak during a hard run or ride. And I am reminded that when I don't feast on the Word of God, I get spiritually weak as well.

I'm learning that if I'm thirsty or hungry, I've waited too long to replenish my nutrients and am running on fumes.  In the same way, I can't wait till the hard stuff comes to binge on the Word of God.  Instead, I need to graze - to eat small portions throughout the day - consistently and frequently to power up for whatever may lie ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment